PREMPEH COLLEGE, KUMASI
- O. BOX KS 1993, KUMASI, TEL: 0322023287/ 0322023288; FAX: 0322024563
The school’s primary goals are to prepare young men for positions of responsibility and to provide Prempeh College students with a distinctive educational experience that will enable them to achieve academic achievement.
A BRIEF HISTORY
The real name of the school is Prempeh College. The original motto of the College was “Oman pa fapem me obrapa,” which means “Good citizens make a good nation.” Both current and former students are called “Amanfo,” which shows how patriotic the first students were. Amanfo has a strong drive to help their country and the world in general through hard work, honesty, and good morals.
In 1964, the motto was changed from “Suban Ne Nimdȇ” to “Character and Knowledge.”
As a school, Prempeh College was made possible by the Kumasi Traditional Council working together with the Colonial Central Government, the Presbyterian and Methodist churches in what was then the Gold Coast, and other groups.
In the early 1940s, the Colonial Government tried to fix this mismatch by asking the Presbyterian and Methodist Churches to open a secondary school for boys. These churches had a history of running schools.
Due to the Second World War, plans to open a school for boys in Kumasi were pushed back several times before they were finally approved in 1948. So, Prempeh College was created to meet a need in secondary education for people living in Ashanti and the northern part of the country.
It was possible to find temporary housing for the students at the 52nd Military Hospital. The Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei-Agyeman Prempeh II, gave the land where the school is now because he was personally interested in building the school.
The Chief Commissioner for Ashanti at the time, Major C.O. Butler, came up with the name Prempeh College. The school chose the Ashanti colours of gold and green. The first headmaster, Rev. S. N. Pearson, gave the school its crest, which had the school colours on it and showed an Ashanti stool and a cross, which stood for the church’s role.
The school opened on February 3, 1949, with 50 children. Many important people, such as The Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei-Agyemang Prempeh II, Major C. O. Butler, Church Leaders, Chiefs, and members of the Kumasi Traditional Council, were present at the ceremony.
There was a lot of interest in the school from the Asantehene, and he often went to Speech and Prize-Giving Days.
It is important to note that Dr. T. A. Osae was the first African teacher and built on the work of those who came before him. He put Prempeh on a platform, and for ten years in a row, they did better in school than important schools.
NOTABLE WAEC ACHIEVEMENTS
Overall Best General Science Student 2000
Overall best Candidate 2000
Overall third Best candidate 2003
NATIONAL SCIENCE AND MATHS QUIZ
National Champions (maiden Competition) 1994
National Champions 1996
Runners – up (National) 1997
4th Position 2005
NATIONAL DEBATE COMPETITION
National Champions 1997
National Champions 2004
Runners – up (National) 2009