To set up something that works well and efficiently
1. The tools of management and the open administration practice to meet the needs of all parties.
2. Supervision to make sure that resources are used wisely and that students are taught well.
3. Rules for discipline to keep the peace in school,
4. Steps to keep buildings, roads, and the environment in the best shape possible so they are easy to use and friendly to people; to help schools do better in the classroom and on tests so they can be known as some of the best in the country; and
5. Getting ready to compete in and win prizes in school sports at the regional and national levels and in other school events.
The civil state of the Gold Coast and the Asanteman Traditional Authority prompted by the Roman Catholic Mission of the Kumasi Diocese founded the school and entrusted it with the Catholics to administer and develop
- holistic and quality secondary education for a strong base for tertiary education and training in careers and professions for nation building.
- in students the appreciation and practice of moral uprightness and gospel values as taught by the Catholic tradition
- a school environment and experiences that will impart sound psychological balance and respect for socio/cultural imperatives.
DEUS LUX SCIENTIAE
(GOD IS THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE)
A SHORT HISTORY OF THE INSTITUTION
Because there were no Catholic secondary schools in the Ashanti Region, parents had to send their kids to schools in Cape Coast and Accra to get an education that followed the Catholic view of education.
The Catholics in the area thought it was too much work, so they asked the government for a Catholic school in the area through their Bishop.
From 1949 on, the government did something about it, and in 1952, this school opened under Roman Catholic control. It was named Yaa Asantewaa Secondary School (after a great Asante Queen and warrior), and was later renamed Opoku Ware School upon the advice by the then Asantehene Otumfuo Nana Sir Osei Agyemang Prempeh II to befit its status as a boys school.
- Location: FANKYENEBRA –SANTASI. KUMASI (ASHANTI)
- Important School Dates:
- a) St Thomas Acquinas Day – 28th January
- b) Homecoming/Founders Day– 2nd Saturday of February.
- c) Speech and Prize Giving Day – 3rd Saturday of March.
- d) Bishop’s Pastoral Visit/Feast of Christ the King – November
- MAJOR ACHIEVEMENTS OVER THE YEARS
ii WASSCE: 100% Passes
iii National Science and Mathematics Quiz –
Northern Sector Champions – 1995
National Runners Up – 1995, 2003, 2005, 2008
National Champions – 1997, 2002, 2004
iv Regional Games
- Athletics: Regional Champions – 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008
- Soccer: Regional Champions – 1998, Runners Up 1999, 2000, 2002, 2005, 2006
- Table Tennis: Regional Champions 1999, Runners Up 2000, 2001
- Hockey: Regional Champions – 1996, 2001; Runners Up 1997, 1998, 1999,2002, 2003, 2008
- Volley: Runners Up 1998
- Basketball: Regional Champions 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009