Situated in Akropong, Ghana’s Ashanti Region, Osei Tutu Senior High School is a senior high school exclusively for boys. It is considered to be one of the Ashanti Region’s top senior high schools.
Osei Tutu was one of the Royal Institutions in the Ashanti Region when it was founded in 1940. It started out as a boys’ boarding school and later evolved into a training college before becoming a secondary institution in the early 1970s.
The school’s mission is to uphold the highest standards of intellectual, spiritual, and moral excellence in order to serve as a beacon of hope and aspiration for Asanteman in particular and Ghanaians in general.
To become a breeding ground for producing graduates
with intellectual, moral, and innate capabilities to be
useful and responsible at any level of service.
Osei Tutu Senior High School, named for Otumfuo Osei Tutu I, the founder of the Ashanti Kingdom, was founded in 1940 as one of the Royal Institutions in the Ashanti Region. It is regarded as the pinnacle of the rich Asanteman culture and history.
The Methodist Church of Ghana established the institution, which began as a Middle Boys Boarding institution in a cottage next to the Wesley College at Kumasi’s Freeman College.
Rev. Arthur W. Banks (M.A., B.Sc.) served as the school’s first headmaster from the beginning. With just 13 students, he was helped by Messrs. A. C. Denteh and Eric Awua. Dr. Charles Graham, Mr. Isaac Oguame Tenney (B.Sc., B.Com.), Mr. Peter Kofi (B.A., B.Com.), a former KNUST senior lecturer, Mr. Peter Kofi, a former solicitor and advisor to the Bank of Ghana, and renowned Black Stars midfielder and coach James Adjei were among these students.
In 1948, the school was relocated to its present site at Asante-Akropong, Accra, under the direction of Mr. J.G. Quansah, who was the manager of the Avenida Hotel at the time. There were five teachers and 120 boys enrolled at the time. However, the school was forced to close in November 1954 due to parent inability to pay the increased tuition.
Reopened as a two-year Certificate ‘B’ Training College on November 24, 1955, it was led by the late A.K. Folson. With 60 students and 5 teachers, this phase got underway.
On September 20, 1961, Mr. Folson was succeeded by Rev. C.K. Yamoah, B.D. (London), a former Methodist Church President. There were seven tutors and 160 students enrolled at the time.
The college subsequently converted in 1965 from offering a two-year Certificate ‘B’ to a four-year Certificate ‘A’. Mr. J.O.T Ansah B.A (Hons) D.A, E.d. succeeded Rev. Yamoah as principal on September 22, 1966.
Osei Tutu Training College was impacted when several Training Colleges around the nation were turned into secondary schools during the 1972–1973 academic year. As a result, the college had to operate as a dual institution until the Training College component was eliminated.
Vice Principal of the school Mr. Amo Polley succeeded Mr. J.O.T. Ansah in leading the school’s transformation from a training college to a secondary school.
The school has been competing at the National Science and Maths Quiz over the years.
It has also been competing in debate and won the Ashanti regional zonal debate for the 2020 independence debate.
The school has produced several notable alumni, including:
Justice Kweku Etrew Amua-Sekyi (Supreme Court Judge and Chairman of the National Reconciliation Committee of Ghana)
Dr Kwame Addo-Kufuor, a former Minister of Defence
Hon. Samuel Sarpong former Ashanti Regional Minister
Dr. Charles Graham, senior lecturer at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology,
Mr Isaac Oguame Tenney (B.Sc, B.Com), former solicitor and advisor to the Bank of Ghana,
Black Stars midfielder and coach, James Adjei.
- No. of Students (SHS 1): 1981
- No. of Students (SHS 2):1530
- No. of Students (SHS 3): 1034
- 43 Classrooms
- 3 Science Labs
- Computer Lab.
- 1st runner-up Regional Inter Schools Debate –
- Regional reps – Science Fair – 2017